Published: Sun, February 11, 2018

JUST IN: 19 killed, 40 injured in Tai Po double-decker bus crash

JUST IN: 19 killed, 40 injured in Tai Po double-decker bus crash

Firefighters sift through debris after a bus crash in Hong Kong on February 10, 2018. Eighteen people were killed and 60 others injured when the driver lost control and toppled over.

A double-decker bus crash happening Saturday in the Tai Po area of Hong Kong has claimed the lives of 17 men and 2 women, with dozens of injured survivors.

Saturday's crash was the worst in Hong Kong since 2003, when 21 passengers were killed in another bus crash. The fire brigade responded at 6.15pm.

Several witnesses say the driver had been going extremely fast at the time of the accident, even taking bends at high speed. That figure may yet rise as 15 are critical in hospital.

The bus was on its way from Sha Tin racecourse to Tai Po Centre when it flipped onto its side while attempting to turn.


Earlier passengers complained to the driver who was reportedly 10 minutes late. And then it was like the tyres slipped and the bus turned.

The driver had been with the company since 2014 and was familiar with the route on which the accident happened.

Carrie Lam, Hong Kong's top official, said after the crash past year that she didn't believe new laws governing drivers' hours were an answer, and that any solution had to address broader questions of worker shortages.

So also said KMB also will investigate the crash.

Another 47 people were injured and taken to hospitals, including 19 in serious condition, the Hospital Authority said.

Like this: