Published: Sun, February 11, 2018

'We're going to fight back' - Colten Boushie's mother delivers emotional message

'We're going to fight back' - Colten Boushie's mother delivers emotional message

Friday night's acquittal sparked outrage, evoking emotional reactions across the country.

The all white jury found Stanley, 56, not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Boushie.

"Please join us in solidarity and prayer for the family of Colten Boushie".

"That ain't no freak accident", said Baptiste.

The emotion was raw at a rally in North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Saturday as the mother of an Indigenous youth shot and killed by a white farmer lashed out at the justice system and vowed First Nations people will "fight back".

"It's OK to be angry".

Belinda Jackson, one of the people who was in the SUV with Boushie, initially told police she remembered waking up to see Boushie's girlfriend, Kiora Wuttunee, screaming and saying Boushie had been shot. "It says their lives don't matter and that is a lie", said Sharina at the Toronto protest.

"I think if you talk to any indigenous person in this crowd, you'll find [they've experienced] a death similar to this", said McGuire. "We didn't want more here, we wanted justice".

He went on to say if the jury decides Stanley is guilty of manslaughter instead of the charge of second degree murder, if it finds him guilty, then the FSIN won't be satisfied with that.

She called for a government inquiry into the case, noting issues with the jury selection process leading to the dismissal of all visibly-Indigenous candidates.

Boushie's family had previously expressed concern that the deck was stacked against them during the court process. "Something has to be done about this!" said Alvin Baptiste, Boushie's uncle, after the verdict was read aloud.

"Something has to be done about this".

"The system failed Colten, but it has failed countless other Indigenous people beforehand", she said.

There was an nearly immediate response from Ottawa.

The high-profile trial has drawn attention across Canada, and both Wilson-Raybould and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged the verdict on social media on Friday night.

Cameron noted there was promise of a meeting with federal justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould.

The 22-year-old from Red Pheasant First Nation died of a gunshot wound to the head on Stanley's farm near Biggar, Saskatchewan, in August 2016. Court heard that Boushie and his friends drove onto Stanley's property seeking help for a flat tire, but had also tried breaking into a truck on a neighbouring farm. Stanley assumed the group was stealing a vehicle and fired warning shots, after which the gun "just went off", fatally injuring Boushie.

Premier Scott Moe asked people to be measured in their response.

"I do not want to break down now", he said. We understand the pain, frustration and disappointment.

Like this: