Published: Sun, April 15, 2018

Chibok Parents Mark 4th Anniversary Of Schoolgirls Abduction

Chibok Parents Mark 4th Anniversary Of Schoolgirls Abduction

They were abducted in the night of April 14, 2014.

Four years on, 112 are still being held.

A month later, the militants returned nearly all of those girls.

"We need to know if they are alive or dead".

"Four out of five processes that I was involved in, we came close to a swap deal, but government in most instances did not provide the platform I presented with the required expertise. This adds to our grief".

Every year on the anniversary of their daughters' disappearance, the parents gather in Chibok to pray for their safe return.

Parents of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls are marking the 4th anniversary of their abduction.

On April 14, 2014, the terrorist group kidnapped 276 girls from their secondary school in the town of Chibok.

"As stated by President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, the government is not relenting".

Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates into, "Western education is forbidden", seeks to establish an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria, though it has spread its terror across mountainous borders over the years into Niger, Chad and Cameroon, all of which surround the Lake Chad Basin.


"They also advised not to lose faith in this government's ability to fulfil its promise, that the girls will not be abandoned or forgotten", Mr Shehu said.

"The dozens of Boko Haram fighters faced no opposition during the abduction, as they struggled to convey their captives to the forest of Alagarno, the insurgent's first war capital, which they named Timbuktu".

One hundred and seven were returned in mid-March. The demands of Boko Haram then were simple, they wanted detained members taken to Damaturu and they will move the girls to Buniyardi for swap somewhere in between.

The President urged the parents to keep their hopes alive on the return of their daughters, noting that the recovery of more than a 100 of the girls that were kidnapped through the Federal Government's determined effort should give confidence that all "hope is not lost".

Some Dapchi parents were in Chibok on Saturday in a show of solidarity.

Buhari however admitted that they may be some delay in securing their release following setbacks in talks with the terrorists.

But he added, "We will continue to persist, and the parents should not give up".

The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) yesterday said that at least 2,295 teachers had been killed in the North-east since the conflict started in 2009. "Because, government resists independent reporting of the crisis, most of the reports are choreographed and Nigerians are also not ready to hear the truth or stand by it".

Salkida, a journalist, known to have access to information as regards the kidnapped Chibok girls, had on Saturday said numerous girls died as a result of crossfires from security forces.

Like this: