Published: Sun, April 15, 2018

Prince Philip discharged from hospital

Prince Philip discharged from hospital

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh left King Edward VII's Hospital at midday today, following a hip replacement operation last week".

The duke waved from the passenger seat of a Land Rover Discovery as he was driven past the front entrance of the hospital, having left through another exit.

The Queen also gave an update telling a well-wisher in Windsor "he said he's getting on very well" when asked about Philip's recovery.

She is believed to be his only visitor in 10 days is the first member of the royal family to visit the duke in hospital after his operation.

Philip, who is best known for his mischievous sense of humour, forthright manner and off-colour jokes, formally retired from public life previous year but has attended some royal engagements since then.


He had been admitted to the private hospital on 3 April for the planned surgery, with the operation taking place the following day.

He is expected to need a rehabilitation period and to use crutches for a number of weeks.

She added: "Every individual has different needs and recovers in different ways but the majority of patients can get back to their chosen lifestyle a few weeks after surgery, free from pain and with improved mobility".

The Queen Mother underwent two successful hip replacement operations in the 1990s - the first a planned procedure, aged 95, then an emergency operation at 97 following a fall.

Hopefully this means he'll be in full functioning order for the wedding of Prince Harry, his grandson, to Meghan Markle next month.

Like this: