Published: Tue, April 17, 2018

Ant McPartlin has been sentenced after pleading guilty to drink-driving

Ant McPartlin has been sentenced after pleading guilty to drink-driving

The 42-year-old was fined £86,000 at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court yesterday - said to be the biggest penalty ever imposed for drink-driving - and given a 20-month driving ban, the BBC says.

The driver of one of the cars - named as Mr NG - told the court he thought that Ant was dead after the crash, and he came round the corner "like a rocket".

In his statement to police the court heard McPartlin said "I am very sorry I did this". I've let myself down, I let a lot of people down.

In court, a letter was read out in which the presenter stated that was "ashamed and mortified" about the auto crash, and accepted full responsibility for what had happened.

'After colliding with the Mini the auto already had a broken left front side, had already dropped down and was scraping in the ground as it collided head on with my vehicle.

Ant's mother, Christine, was a passenger in his vehicle when the crash occurred, while a four-year-old girl who was a passenger in one of the other cars was taken to hospital as a precaution.

The prosecution said that Mr McPartlin had apologised to police for his actions and admitted that he has a problem with alcohol and "emotional issues".

He said he is "truly sorry for what happened " outside the Wimbledon Magistrates Court.


"I genuinely believed the driver of the black Mini had died because I saw no movement".

As well as the huge fine, Ant will pay pay £255 in costs.

Liam Walker, Ant's defence barrister said: "Anthony McPartlin is sorry".

He added that he was thankful "no-one had been hurt" in the three-car crash, which occurred in Richmond, London, on 18th March.

The popular host recently missed out on presenting the final two episodes of Saturday Night Takeaway with his TV sidekick, Declan Donnelly.

But McPartlin of Chiswick, of south west London, was back on screens over the weekend when he appeared alongside Dec as Britain's Got Talent aired its pre-recorded audition shows.

But ITV has confirmed Donnelly will be hosting the live shows without his TV partner of nearly 30 years.

Like this: