Published: Mon, May 14, 2018
Sport | By

Sheriff: Naked man referenced bomb at Daytona Beach airport

Sheriff: Naked man referenced bomb at Daytona Beach airport

Daytona Beach International Airport in Florida was evacuated early Friday after a naked man running through the airport claimed that he planted a bomb in a terminal bathroom. Once deputies caught up to him, they say they had to use a taser on him.

According to police, 25-year-old John T Greenwood arrived at the airport and went into a women's bathroom under construction, where he removed his clothes.

The nude man didn't immediately respond to commands, so a deputy used a Taser on him. "I planted a bomb in the bathroom,"' Chitwood quoted him as saying. The bomb squad determined there was no bomb.

A couple hundred people were at the airport at the time of the evacuation.

The body-camera video released by the Sheriff's Office shows the man sitting down near the carousel ignoring orders to lie down on his stomach.

"Greenwood is a frequent flyer", Chitwood said of the suspect, meaning he has had numerous run-ins with police.

"#BREAKING: Naked man claims to have bomb, causes scare at #DaytonaBeach Int'l Airport acc to VCSO". The sheriff said he had taken the party drug "Molly" and other substances the night before and would likely face several federal charges. "Usually they close a small area if they find (an unattended) bag, but I've never seen them empty out the whole terminal".

The suspect then attempted to escape onto the tarmac via a baggage carousel, where he was Tasered and apprehended. "I'm naked. I'll go to jail, I'll go wherever the hell you want me to go, man".

"I just want to get out of here, bro", Greenwood told a deputy after getting tased.

A man wearing only a pair of socks was shot with a stun gun and detained by police at Daytona Beach International Airport on Friday, May 11, after making reference to an explosion. "Book me, but get me the hell out of here, please".

"What if I pull them out?"

Airport spokesman Jay Cassens confirmed with Spectrum News 13 that travelers were outside of the airport for an hour and a half.

The man has at least twice before been taken into involuntary custody under the states Baker Act for mental evaluation, the Chitwood said.

Like this: