Published: Thu, July 12, 2018

Thai football team rescue celebrated in the Dutch media

Thai football team rescue celebrated in the Dutch media

"Everybody is doing well", Thongchai Lertwilairatanapong, public health inspector, said.

There are concerns they may have consumed contaminated water, while bird or bat droppings could cause infections.

The 12 boys rescued from a Thai cave were passed "sleeping" on stretchers through the treacherous passageways, a former Thai Navy SEAL told AFP on July 11, giving the first clear details of an astonishing rescue mission that has captivated the world.

Rescuers who pulled a young Thai football team from deep inside a flooded cave were dismantling their worksite Thursday, as plans emerged to turn the spot into a museum in tribute to the daring operation.

The boys and their coach have now all been taken to hospital after the three-day evacuation that was a battle against heavy, predicted rain.

"From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed", Thongchai said.

Several boys can be seen in facemasks and hospital gowns, at least one giving a victory sign for the camera. The photos also showed parents of the boys looking at their children through a glass window.

Members of the "Wild Boars" soccer team, who range in age from 12 to 16, and their coach became trapped after a rainy season downpour turned a cave adventure in the northern province of Chiang Rai into a nightmare, flooding the tunnels and making it impossible to leave.

They will spend one week recovering in hospital after having been trapped inside the cave for more than two weeks.

But two boys had "suspected lung problems which are being investigated", she added.

Hospital Director Chaiwetch Thanapaisal said at a news conference that "everyone is strong in mind and heart", The Washington Post reported. He said, "Don't need to worry about their physical health and even more so for their mental health".

This prompted an global rescue effort, with volunteers from all over the world lending their resources to retrieve the boys one by one. One of the boys, 14-year-old Adul Sam-on, escaped a unsafe territory in Myanmar at the age of six when his parents slipped him over the border to Thailand.

The last of the group was finally extracted on Tuesday after a painstaking and risky global rescue mission led by Thai Navy SEALs. He ran out of air while trying to swim out of the cave.

Before the mission got underway on Sunday, rescue workers warned it would be a delicate operation. He lauded the cooperation between Thai and worldwide rescuers.

Described in a South Australia Ambulance Service statement as a "quiet and kind man" who "didn't think twice about offering his support on this mission" Harry, as he is known, was lauded for his work in throughout the rescue period.

Boys number six and seven were brought out a little over an hour later, with boy number eight spotted being taken out at about 7.40pm local time.

Like this: