Published: Fri, July 13, 2018
Sport | By

Thai cave rescue site to become a museum

Thai cave rescue site to become a museum

The head of a Thai navy SEAL diving team that helped lead 12 boys and their soccer coach through a flooded cave complex to safety urged the boys on Thursday to "be a force for good" as the dramatic operation wound to a close. I think it was the result of an worldwide team of military and civilian divers working alongside the Thai Navy. Every single person who was involved in the rescue operation did a tremendous job at bringing the boys out safely and I must say it wouldn't have been possible if everyone didn't chip in, including divers and experts from all around the world.

Thailand's Navy, whose SEAL unit led the rescue, and the Thai government have selected Ivanhoe Pictures to develop a film that would be directed by John M Chu, the president of Ivanhoe Pictures, John Penotti, said in a statement.

"Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers".

When news arrived after nine days that all twelve boys and the coach had been found, his mother said: "Thank you to God".

Junta leader Prayut Chan-O-Cha on Tuesday said the boys had been given a "minor tranquilliser" to prevent anxiety during the complex extraction bid.

Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who oversaw the rescue operation, said the boys should not be blamed for their near tragedy. Highlighting the dangers, a former Thai navy SEAL volunteering to work on the rescue died Friday while replenishing oxygen canisters placed along the escape route.

"If you didn't use the water pump in that location, you could only come out with an oxygen tank", he said, adding the remaining people did not have diving gear to hand.

"Suddenly the Australian guy who was overseeing that area started shouting that the water pump had stopped working", Chaiyananta told AFP. Thai doctors said the boys each lost about 2 kilograms, or roughly 4.5 pounds, from the ordeal.

Thongchai Lertwilairatanapong is a Thai public health inspector.

The saga of the "Wild Boars" gripped the world, with the lives of the group hanging in the balance as the threat of heavy rain injected urgency to an already perilous extraction bid.

After being brought out of the cave, one by one beginning on Sunday, they were taken by helicopter to a hospital in the town of Chiang Rai, about 70 km (45 miles) away, to stay in quarantine. Last night a 14-year-old member of the trapped football team was also hailed as a hero.

Speaking to CNN after he left the hospital, Tanawat Viboonrungruang, the father of 11-year-old Titun, said he felt relieved to see his son was "still healthy".

Several options were explored by authorities - including tunnelling into the trapped group or getting them enough food to wait out the monsoon season.

Thirteen foreign divers and five Thai Navy SEALs guided boys and their coach out in a complicated three-day operation that ended on Tuesday.

Like this: