Published: Thu, July 19, 2018
Medical | By

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating bad oyster in Sarasota County

Man dies from bacterial infection after eating bad oyster in Sarasota County

"Vibrio vulnificus is often mislabeled as flesh-eating bacteria but it is very important to note that it is not flesh-eating bacteria".

The 71-year-old man ate the oysters on July 8 at a Sarasota restaurant, which health officials did not identify, and died two days later.

The name of the restaurant where the man ate the oyster was not released. Health officials also said that this is the first confirmed case and death of Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year.

Health officials also urge people with certain health conditions to avoid eating raw oysters and other shellfish. "Usually their symptoms are more gastrointestinal". "That can progress to a severe illness where you get the bacteria into your blood causing you to be more sick", Said Drennon.


"We are required by the state health department to post that warning on our menu for people to consume raw seafood and raw oysters, it's clearly stated on everybody's menu that there is a risk associated with that particularly if you are elderly or have a reduced immune system", Said Marc Alton, who is the Executive Chef at Fins at Sharky's. "People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater".

"Infections are rare but exposures occur more commonly during the summer months from May to October, when the water is warmer", department officials said in an email reply. Sarasota had no cases in 2017, and had three confirmed cases of the bacteria and a single death from infection in 2016.

Pasco County has had no cases in 2018, and one non-fatal case each in 2017 and 2017. There were no reported cases past year, officials said.

Health officials advise those with weakened immune systems to wear proper foot protection to prevent cuts and injury caused by rocks and shells on the beach.

Like this: