Published: Thu, September 06, 2018
Medical | By

Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi clarifies the end of Listeriosis outbreak - Part 2

Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi clarifies the end of Listeriosis outbreak - Part 2

The outbreak of listeriosis that was declared in December 2017 linked to ready-to-eat processed meat products has been declared over by the Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi Monday.

Listeriosis cases have been recorded for 40 years in South Africa.

The announcement was made at the NICD on Monday.

Consumers are being advised to continue taking food safety precautions, especially when consuming cold meats and other ready-to-eat meat products.

Business Insider South Africa previously reported that Tiger Brands, the owner of Enterprise, can possibly pay between R100,000 and R2 million to the families of each of the victims of the outbreak.

"Therefore, the conclusion is that the outbreak of listeriosis in South Africa is over".

WHO, along with global and local food safety experts agree that no new listeriosis cases have been identified since the first week of June 2018.


"We should be mindful of the fact that the listeriosis outbreak should have never happened in the first place", Fawu said.

"We were lucky to find out that it was from Enterprise in Polokwane but we have not been able to find the source".

The outbreak was then traced to the Enterprise Factory in Polokwane in March and ready to eat processed foods were pulled off the shelves across the country. Details on its status are expected next month.

He said 900 health inspectors were retrained and they inspected 157 factories.

All processed meat factories in South Africa were inspected by the Health Department, the Incident Management Team, and various metropolitan and district municipalities.

Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi says the department will continue with its emergency response plan in the fight against listeriosis. Early investigation should detect outbreaks faster and identify affected foods quicker.

Like this: