Published: Thu, September 06, 2018

Lawyer: Johnny Bobbit’s money is gone

Lawyer: Johnny Bobbit’s money is gone

One went so far as to say that McClure is the one who raised the money so how much of it she gives to Bobbitt is up to her.

Bobbitt's lawyer Chris Fallon explained to CNN, "From what I can see, the GoFundMe account raised $402,000 and GoFundMe charged a fee of approximately $30,000". The couple initially stated that they kept the funds safe, but they now have until September 10 to complete a report detailing how the funds were spent.

Chris Fallon, an attorney representing homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt Jr.,told NBC Philadelphia that he learned the more than $402,000 that was raised is gone in a conference call with attorneys for the couple who headed the campaign past year, Katie McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico.

This photo taken August 15, 2018, shows Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless veteran who gave $20 for gas for Kate McClure, back on the streets. After the story went viral, McClure appeared on many major television programs along with her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico. "They raised this money to help Johnny Bobbitt get money for food". Bobbitt says that he received about $75,000 total, including a camper that the couple bought for him that he was eventually evicted from on their friend's property.

The couple told Kelly last week that they used their own money for the trips and vehicles, and said there was $150,000 left in the account although did not offer any proof.

Fears of Bobbitt's alleged drug use reportedly became a concern for the couple, with his addiction being the reason they were wary of giving him large sums from the donation pile all at once. He no longer has the camper or SUV, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Tuesday.

In court on Thursday, Badway said Bobbitt stole from the couple and received at least $200,000 from the funds since the couple set up the GoFundMe page for him last November.


When Badway suggested that the case be put on hold until Bobbitt is out of rehab, the judge said, "that's a ludicrous request at this point". A judge has ordered McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt to appear at a deposition on Monday.

She said there was no explanation about the money, other than that they were told "there was no money transferred because there was no money left", and that "it was not up for interpretation".

Bobbitt, meanwhile, is back on the streets.

The deadline for McClure and D'Amico to release the funds came last Friday, but no money was forthcoming.

According to USA Today, GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whithorne said the crowdfunding platform is working with law enforcement on Bobbitt's behalf, in addition to "working with Johnny's legal team to ensure he's receiving support while the remaining funds are being recovered". Some of the money GoFundMe donors gave to him ended up in the pockets of drug dealers, Bobbitt told the Inquirer.

GoFundMe say they are working to resolve the issue to ensure Bobbitt gets his money. "Where the money went, I have no idea".

D'Amico told the Inquirer that he controls the money but thinks neither he nor his girlfriend did anything wrong. D'Amico told the newspaper he had indeed used $500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings. McClure and D'Amico now stand accused of giving Bobbitt only a small portion of the GoFundMe donations while recklessly spending the rest.

Like this: