Published: Thu, October 11, 2018

Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

Mayorga says she was attacked by the Portuguese footballer in a hotel room in the U.S. city that year.

Ronaldo has denied the accusations of rape against him, saying that he had a "clear conscience" as he awaits the conclusions of a USA police investigation. He threatened to sue after the German magazine Der Spiegel reported on the lawsuit, saying the article violated Ronaldo's personal rights.

In August, her attorneys asked Las Vegas police to reopen an investigation that had been closed in 2009 without charges.

In 2010, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.

In the statement the lawyer representing Ronaldo states: 'What occurred in 2009 in Las Vegas was consensual in nature.

Lawyers for Cristiano Ronaldo have confirmed the existence of a non-disclosure agreement with Kathryn Mayorga, who accuses the footballer of sexual assault, but says the allegations of rape are "completely fabricated".


"This agreement is by no means a confession of guilt".

'Mr Ronaldo was advised to privately resolve the allegation against him in order to avoid the inevitable attempts that are now being made to destroy a reputation that has been built upon hard work, athleticism and honour'. Unfortunately, he now finds himself embroiled in the type of litigation that is all too commonplace in America.

Christiansen added: "Although Cristiano Ronaldo is accustomed to media attention, inherent in the fact that he is a famous person, it is absolutely deplorable that the media continue to propagate and stimulate an intentional defamation campaign based on stolen and easily manipulated digital documents".

Wednesday's statement from Ronaldo's lawyer said the player "expresses full confidence that the truth will prevail". Ronaldo issued a statement last week to "firmly deny the accusations being issued against me".

'The documents that allegedly contain statements by Mr. Ronaldo and that were reproduced by the media [emphasis included in statement] are pure inventions. "It is my understanding that in 2015, dozens of entities [including law firms] across many different industries throughout Europe were hacked and their electronic data was stolen and captured by a cybercriminal".

But it declares documents cited in media reports about the athlete's encounter in 2009 were altered before being "irresponsibly published".

Like this: