Published: Sun, November 04, 2018
Medical | By

10th child dies amid viral outbreak at New Jersey pediatric center

10th child dies amid viral outbreak at New Jersey pediatric center

State health experts believe the children were exposed between September 26 and October 29, but symptoms can appear as many as 14 days after exposure.

The child had been a resident of the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Haskell.

While the age of the 10th child who died was not given, the ages of the first nine patients who succumbed to the virus ranged from toddler to young adults, a lot of them under 18.

Health officials say the pediatric patients in Voorhees aren't as sick as those in northern New Jersey where the children are described as "medically fragile", severely disabled and with compromised immune systems.

"The loss of these young lives is heartbreaking, and our thoughts are with the families who are affected", Health Commissioner Dr. Shereef Elnahal said in the recent news release. The state Department of Health has revealed few details on the patients, citing privacy laws.

Officials have said there is not a wider public health concern stemming from the outbreak.

The department said it's working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to monitor the illness and announced earlier this week that infection control teams were being sent to New Jersey's four long-term pediatric centers to help with training.

New patients are not being admitted at Wanaque.

On Wednesday health officials said preliminary tests appear to have ruled out any connection between the Wanaque outbreak and one affecting children at Voorhees Pediatric Facility in Voorhees. Symptoms can include developing a cold, sore throat, bronchitis, pneumonia, diarrhea, and pink eye. It sometimes causes more serious respiratory illness, especially among those with weak immune systems. The child had become ill before October 22.

Eugene Dorio says he went through eight weeks of hell while living at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. In one instance on October 21, after the onset of the outbreak, a licensed nurse touched a patient's tracheotomy tube and a ventilator machine without gloves, the report stated.

Like this: