Published: Mon, November 12, 2018
Medical | By

More salmonella cases linked to raw turkey

More salmonella cases linked to raw turkey

Cook raw turkey thoroughly to kill harmful germs.

While we're all in the midst of preparing for the Thanksgiving festivities, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is sounding alarm about a fatal salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey meat.

"The outbreak strain has been identified in samples taken from raw turkey pet food, raw turkey products and live turkeys", the CDC said in a statement on their website.

Since the last update in the middle of July, 74 additional people in 26 states fell ill after coming in contact with raw turkey products purchased from a variety of sources.

So far, 63 people have been hospitalized, and one death has been tied to the infection in California.

Minnesota - with 17 cases - and IL - with 16 - have been the two hardest-hit states. The most recent case was reported on October 20.

Firstly, invest in a thermometer, and make sure your turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165F before eating it.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the CDC have been working with members of the turkey industry to reduce the harm of contamination events like this outbreak.

Salmonella's symptoms usually start 12 to 72 hours after a person gets exposed to the unsafe bacteria, according to the Mayo Clinic.

People get sick from Salmonella 12 to 72 hours after swallowing the germ and experience diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps. Most of the infections in this outbreak are susceptible to the antibiotics that are commonly used for treatment, so this resistance likely will not affect the choice of antibiotic used to treat most people.

People are advised to thaw turkey in the microwave or in the fridge in cold water, which is changed every 30 minutes.

You should also keep raw turkey away from other foods while cooking.

Use separate cutting boards for meat, poultry, seafood and vegetables. "Leftovers should be reheated to 165°F".

Three of the people became ill after feeding their pets raw turkey.

Turkey should be defrosted in a refrigerator rather than on a counter or in a sink.

Share this warning with your family and friends!

Like this: