Published: Thu, February 07, 2019
Economy | By

Death Toll in Turkey Building Collapse Rises to 3

Death Toll in Turkey Building Collapse Rises to 3

Rescue teams are still searching the rubble of an apartment block in Istanbul after a local official warned that there could have been as many as 30 people inside when it collapsed yesterday.

Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya told reporters at the site that 43 people were registered in 14 apartments at the address, but that the top three floors of the building had been built illegally.

"We are focused on lives". Three of them were in serious condition, Yerlikaya said.

Rescue workers and people try to remove debris of a seven-story building which collapsed in Istanbul, Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019.

Reports suggest at least four people may be missing, and a number of cars were also buried in rubble. "We are continuing with our search and rescue efforts so that we can deliver good news (about survivors)".

"Our prayers are with our brothers and sisters who are inside".


Cevizli local headman Memiş Dikilitaş told Turkish broadcaster NTV that there was no explosion preceding the collapse, but that the building, which was very old, collapsed on its own.

"We rushed out as soon as we heard a loud noise".

Mr Dag said a textile workshop on the lower floor of the building was empty at the time of the incident.

After the collapse, authorities sealed off the area as crowds gathered to watch or help with the rescue operation. Yerlikaya urged people to vacate the scene to let rescuers operate more effectively.

Turkey's broadcasting watchdog later announced the prosecutor's office had ordered a media blackout, citing the investigation into the collapse. Turkish television stations immediately ended live broadcasts from the scene.

An eight-story residential building collapsed in Istanbul, Turkey on Wednesday, killing at least one person.

Like this: