Published: Thu, February 07, 2019

Donald Trump's inaugural committee issued subpoena in donations probe

Donald Trump's inaugural committee issued subpoena in donations probe

The subpoena reportedly orders the committee to hand over a wide-ranging collection of documents related to how it was funded, and by whom.

"While we are still reviewing the subpoena, it is our intention to cooperate with the inquiry", a spokesperson for the committee told ABC News, the first outlet to report the filing.

The inaugural committee disclosed a list of its donors to the commission, and the prosecutors are examining whether that list is complete and accurate, the person said.

Monday's subpoena also seeks "communications about payments made directly by donors to vendors - which would flout disclosure rules", the Journal reported. ABC News reported earlier that prosecutors in the Southern District of NY had contacted the committee and meant to subpoena the organisation for documents, citing sources the network didn't identify.

Any donations to the inaugural fund from foreign individuals and businesses would be a violation of finance laws.

No one who worked for the committee has been accused of wrongdoing, and a subpoena is an initial step in the inquiry. The committee was chaired by Trump's longtime friend Thomas Barrack, who the Times said is not mentioned in the subpoena. In a separate case in NY, prosecutors say Trump directed his personal lawyer Michael Cohen to make illegal hush-money payments to two women as a way to quash potential sex scandals during the campaign.


The Daily Beast reported that Zuberi had held meetings with Broidy at the time of the inaugural about possible business. The committee is under investigation for allegedly raising funds for political favors.

Prosecutors in NY have reportedly requested documents from President Donald Trump's inauguration committee.

Internal Democratic emails released by WikiLeaks in October 2016 show that Clinton campaign Chairman John Podesta met with Zuberi in September 2015 to thank him for his support of Clinton. In a statement to the media, Zuberi's spokesman, Steve Rabinowitz said the money he donated was "all his personal money, certainly not foreign money".

Federal prosecutors in NY issued a subpoena, as CBS News has confirmed, looking for information on donors and benefits they allegedly received in exchange for donations.

Manafort has been convicted of bank and tax fraud. On the tape, Wolkoff reportedly expresses concern about how the inaugural committee is spending money, a source told the Wall Street Journal.

The company appears to have attracted former general and onetime presidential candidate Wesley Clark in 2013, who, according to a press release relating to a $700 million investment in a luxury Bahrani resort, served as an advisor to the company.

Like this: