Published: Sat, February 09, 2019
Medical | By

Council supports Time to Talk Day

Council supports Time to Talk Day

Travelling thousands of miles a year, the specially designed trailers will act as "mobile billboards" to raise awareness of the Time to Change campaign to end mental health discrimination. "People look up to them and to have them as allies standing beside us in the world of mental health and suicide prevention is important".

While social media allows people to connect with those around them and can be a helpful source of support for the one in four who experience mental health problems in any given year, according to campaigners, the new data suggests "surface level" engagement, such as liking photos or checking friends' profiles is replacing more meaningful conversation, both on and offline.

It's become increasingly clear that mental health is an issue that affects nearly everyone in one way or another.

The average Brit has 770 friends on social media, yet almost a fifth (18%) wouldn't feel able to call upon any of those friends if they were struggling with their mental health, a survey of 5,000 United Kingdom adults found.


Our conversations might happen at different times and in different places, but ultimately, the more we talk about mental health in general, the better it will be for everybody's wellbeing. "As Ford's public awareness film highlights, talking about mental health doesn't have to be the elephant in the room".

The foundation of our mental health programme is a holistic health and wellbeing offering which includes a free confidential counselling service available 24/7, direct access to accredited counsellors and a professionally-monitored, anonymous online community. These are invaluable resources for helping people to get the support they need. However, what's really made a difference when it comes to tackling the taboo around mental health and encouraging people to speak out is our Mental Health Allies Programme.

This reinforces the council's commitment to improve workforce health and welling. Our target is to have 20 percent of our workforce trained as Allies and the other 80 percent mental health aware through education sessions by 2020.

Experts say too many people with mental health problems can often feel isolated and embarrassed or even ashamed about talking about their concerns, but getting people talking can go a long way to help. "I am fully committed to making sure this work continues and I'd like to thank all our officers and partners for providing help and support to people experiencing mental health issues - not just today but every day".

Like this: