Published: Fri, March 15, 2019

N. Korea reconsiders denuclearization talks with US

N. Korea reconsiders denuclearization talks with US

North Korea has said it is considering suspending denuclearization talks with the usa amid an "atmosphere of hostility and mistrust" created by high-ranking United States officials, Russian news agency TASS and The Associated Press reported on Friday.

Pompeo appeared to dismiss the rhetoric as a bargaining ploy or an attempt to drive a wedge between the U.S. team and described his interactions as professional. "I have a vague recollection of being called gangster-like".

"We have no intention to yield to the U.S. demands [put forward at the Hanoi summit] in any form, nor are we willing to engage in negotiations of this kind", she told reporters at a news conference in Pyongyang, to which foreign diplomats and journalists were invited.

Choe blamed the breakdown of talks on the US side, saying the American delegation was being too demanding and inflexible: [The US] "were too busy with pursuing their own political interests and had no honest intention to achieve a result", Choe added, according to Russian state news agency TASS.

The Associated Press also quoted Choe as saying that her country was deeply disappointed by the failure to strike an agreement in Hanoi late last month. Despite previously painting the Trump-Kim summit in Vietnam in a positive light, state news agency KCNA said the meeting hadn't gone as well as expected.

Russian Federation and China, which border North Korea, have the relatively closest diplomatic relations with the extremely insular North Korean state.

"The peninsula problem can be said to be complicated and long-standing, and it cannot be solved overnight", Li told an annual news conference on Friday, although his remarks were not made in response to the TASS report.

The spokeswoman said the ministry had not confirmed why the North Korean officials decided not to attend.


Administration officials portrayed the invitation as a victory for Trump's policy of "maximum pressure" and stressed that the United States would not relax its stringent sanctions regime before North Korea began disarming. He referred a couple of times to Kim's verbal pledge to denuclearize, which has not been formalized.

But Mr Pompeo said he is "hopeful" that discussions will continue. In the meantime, he said, "we have stopped missile testing and nuclear testing".

"That's Chairman Kim's word", Mr Pompeo said.

He added: "Diplomacy is still very much alive".

Many experts see signs of a hardening of the USA stance post-Hanoi, with Bolton taking a leading role in the media ruling out any sanctions relief until North Korea fully denuclearizes and even threatening to ramp up sanctions. "While we haven't made as much progress in the six months as I would've hoped coming in on the first day, we stay closely engaged with our counterparts in North Korea".

Moon Chung-in, South Korea's special presidential adviser for foreign affairs and national security, said if Pyongyang tries to use the reported missile activities as leverage in stalled nuclear talks, it would constitute a "bad move" that could be catastrophic.

"And I think in the president's judgment that time has arrived now", he said. "I've seen the statement you're referring to". "I'm not sure why the US came out with this different description".

Like this: