Published: Sun, March 17, 2019

Australian Man Appears In Court On Murder Charge After Christchurch Attack

Australian Man Appears In Court On Murder Charge After Christchurch Attack

The number of people injured in the attacks was also 50, of whom 36 remained in hospital.

She added none of the three people who were arrested had a criminal history in Australia or New Zealand and were not not on the police's watch-list in either country. A couple apprehended at a cordon for carrying firearms not believe to be involved in the attacks, Bush said.

If you are 16 years old or over you can apply for a firearms licence [sic].

Police said the suspect took seven minutes to travel to the second mosque in the suburb of Linwood, where seven people were killed.

He livestreamed 17 minutes of the rampage at the Al Noor mosque, where, armed with at least two assault rifles and a shotgun, he sprayed worshippers with bullets, killing at least 41 people.

The shootings suspect, Brenton Harrison Tarrant, appeared in court Saturday amid strict security, shackled and wearing all-white prison garb, and showed no emotion when the judge read him one murder charge.

"Many of you may have seen the footage of the arrests, and I can only describe it as an act of bravery on behalf of all New Zealanders, and an act that shows very little regard for their own personal safety", she said.

The Christchurch attacker could have killed even more people as he was on the move at the time of his arrest, and had more firearms in his auto, New Zealand's PM said, praising police who responded to the call in just 36 minutes.

TESSA BURROWS via Getty ImagesResidents pay respect by placing flowers for the victims of the mosques attacks in Christchurch on Saturday. Mr Bush said the woman had been released without charge.


Cook Islands prime minister Herny Puna said his country's prayers first and foremost were with the victims of the shooting, "their families, friends and loved ones whe are now faced with the irreconcilable loss of their loved ones".

One person died in Christchurch hospital last night and staff are treating 42 patients, ranging from young children to adults, with gunshot wounds.

However, because none of the bodies have been returned to the victims' families because of the investigation, many having been unable to bury their dead within the 24 hours customary in Islam.

Indian media reports, however, said at least one Indian was killed in the massacre that shook New Zealand.

She said the shooter had five guns, two of them semi-automatic.

President Donald Trump, who has a record of Islamophobic rhetoric, online behavior and policies, tweeted out his "warmest sympathy and best wishes" to the people of New Zealand.

On Saturday, the White House said U.S. Vice President Mike Pence spoke with New Zealand's Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters on Friday to express condolences for "the despicable terror attacks".

Ardern called on the US government to show "sympathy and love for all Muslim communities", and told the press that "the person who has committed this violent act has no place here".

Like this: