Published: Tue, April 16, 2019

Sudan protesters block attempt to break up sit

Sudan protesters block attempt to break up sit

Sudanese protest organisers on Monday demanded the new military council be scrapped, as demonstrators kept up calls for a civilian government at a sit-in outside army headquarters.

The organisation which spearheaded months of protests leading to Bashir's fall also demanded the sacking of the country's judiciary chief and prosecutor general. "We appeal to everyone to head to the area to protect your revolution and gains".

On Sunday, the military council said it would name a civilian prime minister and Cabinet to help run the country but would not name a civilian to the office of the president.

Follow the money American actor George Clooney, who has campaigned hard to draw attention to the conflict in Sudan's Darfur region, over the weekend urged world powers to pressure the military "to turn over full executive power to a civilian-led transitional government".

The military council later held a press conference at which its spokesperson did not respond to the protesters' latest demands.

"It is time for the Transitional Military Council and all other parties to enter into an inclusive dialogue to effect a transition to civilian rule", the statement read.

In a joint statement by their embassies on Sunday, they warned against any use of violence to break up the protests, and said the "legitimate change" the Sudanese people demanded had not taken place.


"Remember, we are talking about a regime that has been deep-rooted in power for 30 years, so the SPA and other powers behind this protest know. that the top ranks of the military, those who have staged this coup, will not easily give up the power that the military used to have in Sudan", Vall said.

"The Sudanese Professionals Association calls on its supporters to continue with the sit-in until the revolution achieves its demands", it added.

"Transparency" was also necessary to build this confidence, Siddiq said, explaining it was necessary for the military council to clarify the whereabouts of Bashir and "other senior former regime figures". The military said he was removed from power in response to the demands of the people.

The sit-in outside the compound, which also includes the intelligence headquarters and the presidential residence, began on 6 April after more than three months of protests triggered by a deepening economic crisis.

NB: Sudan and South Sudan are not the same country. Meanwhile, the extradition of Al-Bashir to the International Criminal Court on war crimes charges is a matter for the next civilian government, military council member Jalaluddin Sheikh said. "There is an attempt to disperse the sit-in from the army headquarters area, they are trying to remove the barricades", the SPA said in a statement, without saying who was responsible.

Siddiq said on Twitter he had also requested the reform of the NISS and the release of detainees, as well as the cancellation of all bureaucracy and permits for delivering humanitarian aid. The military council's deputy Himeidti is a field commander for the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) counter-insurgency unit, which rights groups have accused of abuses in Darfur. Sudan's government has previously denied wrongdoing by the RSF.

Like this: