Published: Thu, June 13, 2019

Dominican Republic police detained six suspects hired to shoot David Ortiz

Dominican Republic police detained six suspects hired to shoot David Ortiz

The chief prosecutor in the Dominican Republic says that no one involved in the shooting of former Red Sox star will remain in impunity, not even in the intellectual author of the crime.

Since then, four more men have been arrested in connection with the shooting, including Rolfy Ferreyra who is believed to be the alleged shooter. He has undergone two surgeries - one in the Dominican Republic in the immediate aftermath of the attack, the other at Mass General on Monday night - to remove his gallbladder and part of his intestines and fix his liver.

In Boston, Ortiz's wife said in statement that the former Red Sox star was able to sit up and take some steps as he recuperates in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Meanwhile police are continuing to hunt a number of other suspects, including Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, 31, who is reportedly wanted for an attempted murder in Pennsylvania.

But they say he had help: New surveillance video shows a meeting between the suspects in two cars, and the accused motorcycle driver, Eddy Garcia, near the bar before the ambush. When asked if Ortiz's high-profile status complicates the investigation, the national police director general said that "we will give him the same treatment as a normal criminal investigation".

Two others were wounded in the attack, including television host Jhoel Lopez, who was seated with Ortiz and who was struck in the leg by the same bullet that hit Ortiz.

The Dominican Republic is one of the world's most unsafe countries.


The other suspects were identified as Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, Reynaldo Rodriguez Valenzuela, Joel Rodriguez Cruz, Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta and Polfirio Alende Deschamps Vasquez.

Ortiz was at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo on Sunday night when a gunman approached from behind and shot him at close range in the torso, authorities said.

It's unclear what charges the suspects are expected to face, but investigators are treating the case as an attempted murder. (Apparently the authorities have provided different spellings of the suspects' names.) It does not appear that the alleged shooter's lawyer has given a comment to the media.

The 43-year-old retired athlete was flown to Boston on Monday night for further treatment, arriving in an air ambulance provided by the Red Sox.

A fan holds up a sign in support of David Ortiz (not pictured) during the game between the Baltimore Orioles and the Toronto Blue Jays at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on June 11, 2019 in Baltimore.

Police Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte said the people behind the shooting of David Ortiz were paid $7,800.

Like this: