Published: Fri, June 14, 2019
Economy | By

Why Google can't dismiss Huawei OS threat

Why Google can't dismiss Huawei OS threat

Now playing: Watch this: What is going on between Huawei and the US?

There's an elephant in Huawei's folding room in the form of Google's Huawei ban, meaning after August, future Huawei smartphones won't be able to use the Android operating systems if a deal between Huawei and Google (but actually the United States and China) can't be struck. When the Huawei Mate X foldable smartphone was showcased at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2019 tech expo earlier this year, the Chinese firm had revealed that it carries support for 55W SuperCharge fast charging technology.

Once Huawei's OS formally hits the street, there will effectively be two kinds of Android operating system: the genuine version and a Huawei version which will be compatible to all Android apps.

Huawei is in the process of potentially launching a replacement. Huawei has already reportedly received trademark clearance in China.

Williamson also confirmed that Huawei is filing for trademarks around the world in order to protect the name and use of its operating system, in addition to talking about financial forecasts.

That could pose a challenge to Google as the Chinese rival has massive power to shake up the market and attract developers and other Chinese peers to use its new operating system. The agency has sought additional details from the company about its mobile operating system.


Hongmeng is based on the version of Android that is publicly available via open-source licensing and is mainly meant for phones, Pang said. Some industry observers have warned that the Huawei system could have many more bugs than the Google offering, putting the devices at greater risk of getting hacked.

What just happened? Huawei's plan B to continue thriving in the smartphone business is to build a homemade solution for its Android woes.

Now, if all the existing devices get a HongMeng update, it could take away a significant share from Android.

Last year, one in every three smartphones sold in China was a Huawei device.

Pang denied recent media reports that Huawei was cancelling the roll out of its next new laptop and said it will still launch at a later date. The two superpowers are, of course, in the midst of an escalating trade war after the U.S. failed to secure a trade deal with China.

Like this: