Published: Tue, July 09, 2019
Sport | By

No ride, Daly pulls out of Open Championship

No ride, Daly pulls out of Open Championship

It's perhaps a consolation for Daly, who was denied use of a golf cart for the Open Championship, which is held the same weekend as the Barbasol.

The PGA of America allowed him to have a cart, which is normally against the rules at pro events, to compete at the PGA Championship earlier this year.

Daly has been replaced in the field by American Kevin Streelman with Rory Sabbatini now first reserve for the final major of the year ahead of Brian Harman and Martin Kaymer. Having considered all of the relevant factors, the Championship Committee has made a decision to decline his request.

Daly, 53, won the 1995 Open and therefore has an exemption to play in every Open until he's 60. It said it was important to "ensure that, as far as possible, the challenge is the same for all players in the field". His last appearance at the major was in 2017, when he shot 12-over par in the first two rounds and missed the cut.

John Daly, known for his antics on and off the course just as much as his play, is among the golfers who will play in the four-day event, which begins July 18.


"As a proud Open champion, I know what the Open Championship represents and what a special tournament it is". See you in Ireland.

After holidaying in England, Daly required emergency surgery due to suffering severe pain from a spider bite.

The victor at Woburn on Sunday 3 August will receive £605,000, a sizeable leap from the £390,000 Georgia Hall got for her victory 12 months ago, but still some way short of the £1.5m that next week's Open champion will pick up at Portrush from a fund of £8.4m.

But although the R&A expressed sympathy with Daly over his condition, it said players "walking the course is an integral part of the Championship and is central to the tradition of links golf which is synonymous with The Open".

Like this: