Published: Tue, August 13, 2019

Feds to unveil firearms charges against friend of Dayton shooter

Feds to unveil firearms charges against friend of Dayton shooter

Betts killed his sister and eight others in the shooting rampage in Dayton's historic Oregon District.

Multiple officers shot and killed Betts at the scene.

A friend of Connor Betts, the Oregon District gunman, is accused of lying on federal firearms forms, according to a news release.

Police have said there was nothing in Betts' background that would have prevented him from buying the AR-15 style gun used in the shooting. The gunman reportedly took possession of the assembled weapon between six and eight weeks before committing the mass murder.

Federal authorities say the Ethan Kollie, 24, a friend of the Dayton shooter bought him body armor and a firearm accessory earlier this year.

As the U.S. dissects its recent mass shootings and tries to understand the killers' motivations in an effort to prevent the next one, at least one factor is "missing from the national conversation", California Gov. Gavin Newsom said.


During that interview, Kollie allegedly told agents that he likes guns and now owns a handgun and a micro Draco pistol. Those three weapons were not used in the August 4 Dayton attack, the source said. Agents interviewing Kollie at his apartment said they smelled marijuana and saw a bong and the Draco pistol in plain sight. He also told the agents that he had smoked marijuana nearly daily over a period of 10 years.

Agents returned to Kollie's apartment with a federal search warrant and recovered the micro Drago pistol, a Taurus Model PT111 G2A semi-automatic pistol, ammunition, drug paraphernalia and suspected marijuana and mushrooms believed to contain Schedule 1 Controlled Substances.

Kollie said he kept the gun components and body armor he bought for Betts earlier this year because Betts wanted to hide them from his parents, according to Glassman.

Kollie was charged with possessing a firearm as an unlawful user of a controlled substance and faces up to 10 years in prison.

Mr. Kollie was arrested and had his first court date Friday, according to court records.

Wickerham said the Federal Bureau of Investigation is still examining the cell phone Betts was carrying at the time of the attack. More than 30 others were injured, including 14 with gunshot wounds.

Like this: