Published: Tue, August 13, 2019
Economy | By

One stabbed in central Sydney street attack

One stabbed in central Sydney street attack

Courageous witnesses were able to tackle the man and pin his head down with a milk crate until police arrived and arrested him as hundreds of workers gathered.

"A number of members of the public physically restrained the offender", Superintendent Gavin Wood said.

"To approach a person. with clear evidence of a stabbing previously, these people are heroes".

The video shows the suspect trapped for several minutes as they wait for the police.

The suspect turns out to be a mental-health patient who had just recently left a hospital.

"It is not now classed as a terrorist incident. As investigation continues, we will reassess that".

A caller to 2GB radio confirmed the young man had been tackled to the ground.

An emergency situation unfolded near Wynyard Station at about 2pm when a man armed with a large knife allegedly stabbed a woman at a hotel of the corner of King and Clarence Streets. They're working to determine if that death is related to the stabbing spree. It was unclear whether the man stabbed anyone else.

According to a police spokeswoman, Australian police are investigating reports of an armed man in downtown Sydney.

"You f*cking piece of sh*t", one man says as the milk crate is placed on the man's head.

The 37-year-old told The Guardian that "extremist" slogans had been shouted before adding on the distressing incident: "We just finished lunch. we're just based on King Street and we have a window slightly open so we can hear noise and traffic".

The Daily Telegraph said a judge dismissed a charge against the man in June after the man had been caught with knuckledusters; the man was sentenced to nine months conditional release. At one point he leaps onto a auto.

"I froze for a split second but then I thought, "I'm hoping he's not covered in any explosives or anything", he said.

He added: 'I froze for probably a split second but then I thought I'm hoping that he's not covered in any explosives or anything, so I quickly accelerated so he can get off the auto'.

"He was fearless. He was completely fearless".

"Could see a little bit of blood so we knew he'd done something with that knife, so we just ran after him basically and people were shouting, "He's down that way". About an hour later, authoritiesdiscovered another body.

The police are still conducting proactive patrols the area, but police say they believe there is no further threat to public safety.

Video captured by witnesses to the terrifying episode showed the man appearing to yell "allahu akbar" and "shoot me" as he was chased through the roads around Sydney's Clarence and York streets.

Police credited the bystanders who took on the attacker, with Wood calling them "heroes".

"These people are heroes, and I want to acknowledge that", he told the newspaper.

Like this: