Published: Wed, August 14, 2019

Dartmouth lake closed due to suspected blue-green algae bloom

Dartmouth lake closed due to suspected blue-green algae bloom

Melissa Martin, one of the dogs' owners, said that she took the dogs to a local pond in Wilmington, North Carolina, and were having an incredible evening playing in the water.

Martin rushed her to a veterinary hospital, with Izzy and Harpo right behind her.

The third dog - a therapy dog named Harpo - fell ill and started to show signs of liver failure shortly after.

As of August 8, there are more than a dozen locations with blue-green algae in North Dakota.

By midnight on Friday, all three dogs had died, Martin said.

Martin told CNN she didn't notice the algae at first, but her veterinarian told her that what appeared to be debris from flowers were blooms of cyanobacteria.

"At 12:08 a.m., our dogs crossed the rainbow bridge together, "Melissa Martin wrote in a Facebook post". Here's everything you need to know about the blue-green algae bloom, how to avoid it, how to treat a possible poisoning, and more.

They had been exposed to blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, which was present in the lake the dogs had played in.


She said she didn't see any signs warning of toxic algae near the pond, which sits next to a popular walking trail.

What is an "impaired" waterway and why are there so many of them in Pennsylvania?

So what is making this toxic algae bloom to such a degree?

Martin and Mintz go on to promise in the post that they would begin an initiative to set signs up near bodies of water that are contaminated with the deathly algae, and have created a GoFundMe page to raise money to do so.

Gary Kohlhepp, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy said, "With dogs what happens is that they tend to ingest a lot of the water when they're swimming or maybe if they swim in the bloom when they're done they'll clean themselves and lick their fur".

About 30 minutes later, while driving home, Morgan Fleming said: "We noticed her making weird noises and she threw up and pooped in the auto". The algae blooms can produce toxins that affect people, livestock and pets that swim and drink in the contaminated water.

Several factors have contributed to the blooms, including hotter, wetter summers and warmer water. Nitrogen and phosphorus enter bodies of water as a result of human activities, such as agriculture, imperfect wastewater systems, fossil fuels, fertilizers, and the use of soaps and detergents containing those nutrients.

Like this: