Published: Wed, September 11, 2019
Tech | By

Apple Hits Back At Google Over iPhone Hack Report

Apple Hits Back At Google Over iPhone Hack Report

While Google's revelation states that the iPhone exploit went unnoticed for over two years, Apple states that it fixed the security issues within 10 days of being notified.

In a rare move, Apple also publicly commented on Google's blog posts, claiming that they mischaracterized the vulnerabilities, and the intent of the hackers.

"Regardless of the scale of the attack, we take the safety and security of all users extremely seriously", he wrote.

"Last week, Google published a blog about vulnerabilities that Apple fixed for iOS users in February", said Apple.

Apple has responded at long last and suggests things were nowhere near as dire as Google suggested, even though Apple did admit that the website attacks were operational for roughly two months.

And Apple, like Google, won't say if they think Beijing is directly responsible.

Apple, via an official press release, has hinted that the security concerns discussed in Google's report are defined as a large-scale one. "When Google approached us, we were already in the process of fixing the exploited bugs", the statement reads.


The Apple Event that is expected to unveil new iPhones and Apple Watches this year, as well as announce the release dates for Apple's new operating systems, is set for Tuesday, September 10, this week. After all, there's no evidence this Uighur-targeted attack was the only one.

The conclusion here is that Apple is right in calling out Google, at least on the first point - that the campaign wasn't an en-mass hacking spree aimed at random iPhone users, but rather a very targeted operation. Moreover, Apple wants to make clear it's still ahead of the competition's security because it takes responsibility "for the security of [its] hardware and software".

However, according to Apple's new statement, Google's report left out or misrepresented key details. "Our item stability teams about the earth are continually iterating to introduce new protections and patch vulnerabilities as quickly as they're uncovered". The company says it works round the clock to keep users safe. In response to Apple's criticism, Project Zero has issued a statement standing by its "in-depth research which was written to focus on the technical aspects of these vulnerabilities".

Apple can launch 3 new phone models in this event.

For the unaware, Ming-Chi Kuo is a reliable Apple analyst who predicts about the upcoming Apple products.

In early September, security firm Volexity disclosed that similar "watering-hole" attacks on Android devices used by Uyghurs had been observed in the wild.

Like this: