Published: Wed, October 09, 2019

Sydney 14 - 8 Canberra | 06 Oct 2019

Sydney 14 - 8 Canberra | 06 Oct 2019

In a major momentum-setter just three minutes into the match, Canberra's Sia Soliola charged down a Luke Keary kick to set up a potential try scoring situation for teammate Elliott Whitehead.

Up 8-6, a try would have put the Roosters behind the eight-ball and with a split-second reaction, the hit was necessary to hold the rampaging Raiders at bay.

Roosters are the first back-to-back premiers of the NRL era after an epic 14-8 win over Canberra at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night.

There was also controversy earlier in the game when retiring scrum-half Cooper Cronk was sent to the sin bin for tackling prop Josh Papalii without the ball. Cronk was also part of grand final-winning teams at the Storm in 2007 and 2009, which were both later stripped for salary cap breaches.

While the rule was widely criticised, the Raiders remained in touch at 8-6 after Clive Churchill Medal victor Wighton stepped off his left foot to bamboozle Roosters skipper Boyd Cordner.

Canberra's time without a title will extend to 26 years next year but they wiped away one record having to wait the longest of any side to feature in a grand final.

Cooper Cronk (left) will retire after Sunday's decider.

Instead it was Federal Highway robbery that overshadowed a blockbuster grand final and a Roosters historic win, 14-8.

No team has won successive titles since the NRL began in 1998 when the professional game was reunited after a schism known as the "Super League War". He will now retire one of the greatest halfbacks of all time.

Cronk said he was the beneficiary of jumping on the back of players who had changed the way the game was played "and just had fun along the way".

18m: Roosters second-rower Mitchell Aubusson leaves the field with a knee injury, replaced by Angus Crichton. "This club cops a lot of criticism but it has a big heart and soul". It was his kick that caused Tedesco to knock-on and earned the Green Machine a repeat set.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson had the most glowing comments for Cronk. The last side who did in a unified competition were the Broncos in 1992-1993.

"I knew I was going to play (against Canberra in the grand final)".

Before a noisy sell-out crowd of 82,922, this was one hell of a grand final.

The Roosters then scored off the next set, with Luke Keary exploding down the blind side and Latrell Mitchell producing a attractive flick pass to unlock Daniel Tupou for Tedesco to score between the posts. And Roosters skipper Boyd Cordner said: "God it feels good". Victor Radley was taken from the field for a concussion test before returning.

Rivals may hate the Roosters but you've got to respect them.

The pre-game atmosphere was extraordinary when around 60,000 fans participated in the Viking Clap.

Like this: