Published: Fri, October 11, 2019
Science | By

SpaceX’s Elon Musk and NASA chief reconcile after public skirmish

SpaceX’s Elon Musk and NASA chief reconcile after public skirmish

SpaceX CEO joined NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine at SpaceX HQ in Hawthorne in the present day to supply an replace on the business crew launch program that the corporate is engaged on with the company.

SpaceX has to this point never flown people into orbit, simplest cargo. Something went wrong during the test, just before the Crew Dragon's SuperDraco abort engines - which are created to blast the capsule to safety in the event of a launch emergency - fired up, and the vehicle was destroyed.

Musk then tweeted on Tuesday that testing for Crew Dragon would be done in 10 weeks, a bold claim given NASA's design and safety concerns, some of which were first detailed by Reuters earlier this year.

Bridenstine livestreamed the press conference of his visit on his Twitter account, and gave updates to the press about the advancements being made with SpaceX's Crew Dragon commercial rocket.

Whereas Musk and Bridenstine supplied few concrete particulars on their joint investigation into an explosion throughout a capsule floor check in April, Musk stated incidents had been inevitable throughout advanced improvement processes and rigorous testing.

Musk quickly shot back at a news conference, citing soaring cost overruns on a rival NASA moon rocket dubbed the Space Launch System. He additionally informed CNN "most of the work" left to finish on Crew Dragon was associated to "a long series of safety reviews" by NASA.

When exactly Demo-2 will happen is unclear: after the shake-up at the space agency's Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate, and the reassignment of division chief Bill Gerstenmaier, as well as multiple delays experienced by both Boeing and SpaceX, NASA has stopped publishing target dates for milestones.


The test will be an in-flight abort (IFA), which will assess Crew Dragon's ability to shuttle itself to safety in a launch emergency scenario, Space.com reported.

NASA said earlier this year it was considering paying for two more seats to the space station for this fall and the Spring of 2020 to ensure U.S. access.

SpaceX flew Crew Dragon in March with a mannequin on board and docked with the space station.

Bridenstine told reporters on Thursday that a high-altitude abort test of a system created to propel the capsule to safety in the event of an emergency on the way to orbit would happen in "short order", though he did not provide a specific date.

Beneath that time-frame, the primary Starliner manned mission is all however sure to slide into 2020. It has been paying Russian Federation to send astronauts to the International Space Station instead, at the cost of $85 million (£68m).

Bridenstine stated NASA was "still buying seats" for ride-alongs aboard Russia's Soyuz as an "insurance policy" in opposition to future delays within the crew capsule improvement.

Bridenstine sought to bury the hatchet on Thursday, saying he was merely "signaling" to SpaceX and other NASA contractors that "we need more realism built in to our development time frames". Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24×7 and NDTV India.

Like this: