Published: Mon, January 13, 2020

Puerto Rico Open for Tourism Business as Earthquake Recovery Continues

Puerto Rico Open for Tourism Business as Earthquake Recovery Continues

California is sending 31 disaster specialists to Puerto Rico after a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck the island's southern coast on Saturday, the latest in a series of quakes over the past week that have toppled homes and schools and left more than 4,000 people in shelters.

A tsunami warning was not issued as the aftershocks were not strong enough to cause one, Dr. Lucy Jones, a seismologist told ABC News.

Saturday's quake occurred four days after a 6.4 magnitude quake in the same area and amid a spate of more than 1,200 mostly small quakes over the past 15 days, all at shallow depths.

Puerto Rico's Electric Power Authority said after Saturday morning's quake that just over 93% of customers still had power, and that it was working on restoring service to those without it.

'Everyone is out on the street, ' she said. Officials said they also were going back to reassess all structures previously inspected, given the strength of Saturday's quake.


Puerto Rico Governor Wanda Vázquez and U.S. Senator Rick Scott on Friday toured the Costa Sur plant in Guayanilla and spoke to U.S. President Donald Trump by telephone about recovery efforts.

Puerto Rico's electric power authority reported outages in the towns of Ponce, Lares, Adjuntas and San German after the latest quake.

More aftershocks are expected.

At least one person has died, and nine others have suffered injuries as a result of the earthquakes and their aftershocks. "It's a complex zone".

Like this: