Published: Sat, January 23, 2021
Science | By

Legault wants Quebec travellers to quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks

Legault wants Quebec travellers to quarantine in hotels for 2 weeks

Legault said he's particularly anxious that people travelling to resorts in warm destinations could catch the highly contagious COVID-19 variants and bring them back to the province.

While the premier said it may be hard to determine which flights are essential, he said it's clear that flights to sun destinations are non-essential.

"We can not take any chances with the new variant", Legault said.

However, when asked if he would ban flights, Trudeau told reporters that the Constitution guarantees Canadians the right to travel and to return to the country.

As a result, Legault said, surgeries that have been postponed can not be rescheduled just yet - the strain on the system is too great.

Premier François Legault says if the federal government doesn't want to ban non-essential flights then it should force those returning home from vacation to quarantine in a hotel, at their own expense, for two weeks.

According to him, Canada already had its lesson last March after the spring break, and everything must be done to protect ourselves from the new variants of the coronavirus.

"The police do not have fun giving tickets to homeless people for nothing", said the Prime Minister, reiterating his confidence in the police.

Legault said he's asked Quebec's public security minister to look into what action the province could take at airports if the federal government doesn't act.


In explaining the seriousness of their concerns, Quebec's public health officials have pointed to other countries such as the United Kingdom, where a variant that's circulating in the country is responsible for a spike in cases and in hospitalizations.

Quebec on Tuesday revised its COVID-19 vaccination schedule as a result of the expected slowdown in Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine shipments.

The provincial Health Department said it would lower its target of administering 250,000 doses by February 8, to 225,000 doses, adding it expects to have received 1,203,100 doses of approved vaccine by March 29.

Quebec says it will maintain its plan to deliver booster shots within 90 days of the first injection.

The premier responded to recent calls from all three opposition parties, the mayor of Montreal and the federal indigenous services minister, who said the homeless shouldn't be included in the 8 p.m.to 5 a.m. curfew.

Quebec showed 1,386 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the total number of people infected to 245,734, of which 217,575 have now recovered. More than 100,000 health care workers have also received the first dose of vaccine, Dube said.

The daily number of infections has been on the decline in Quebec for the past 10 days, though Legault said it's too early to lift restrictions, given that hospitalizations remain high, at just under 1,500.

So far there have been only five cases of the variant reported, linked to travel and all from the same family - and none since.

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

Like this: