Published: Sat, April 03, 2021

Terrorism not suspected in deadly Capitol attack

Terrorism not suspected in deadly Capitol attack

The U.S. Capitol Police said on Twitter that the incident occurred at an access point along Constitution Avenue.

She identified the slain officer as William "Billy" Evans, an 18-year veteran of the force, and member of the Capitol Division's First Responder's Unit.

Dozens of police cars, marked and unmarked, raced toward the Capitol building.

After ramming the barricade, the driver reportedly exited the vehicle with a knife, stabbed one of the officers, and was shot by Capitol police.

Five people, including a Capitol Police officer, died in the assault inspired by Trump's groundless claims that he had lost the November presidential election due to massive fraud.

The officials could not discuss the matter publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

The officials said both Capitol Police officers were taken to the hospital, with at least one in serious condition.

The complex was locked down in the aftermath of the January 6 riot, and a National Guard contingent of around 2,300 troops was still stationed in the area as of Friday.

Acting Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee said there wasn't an ongoing threat and the attack didn't appear to be terrorism-related.

Video posted on social media by reporters at the Capitol appeared to show the vehicle crashed into a barrier outside the building. The attack occurred about 100 yards (91 metres) from the entrance of the building on the Senate side of the Capitol.

All roads leading to the complex were cordoned off as well.

A message played over the loudspeakers inside the Capitol complex said that all buildings were being locked down, and staff members were told they could not enter or exit the buildings.

Law enforcement officials had removed some of the steel barriers erected following the January riot and the National Guard troops who rushed to Washington in response were being withdrawn. Congress is now on recess.

President Biden was in Camp David, Md., when the incident took place, according to the White House.

The incident comes as the Washington region remains on edge almost three months after a mob of armed insurrectionists stormed the Capitol as Congress was voting to certify Joe Biden's presidential win.

But CBS News reported that security officials had already warned congressional staffers of a threat before the auto ramming.

Like this: