Published: Wed, April 07, 2021
Medical | By

Parts of Ontario Could Be Headed to Stay-at-Home Order

Parts of Ontario Could Be Headed to Stay-at-Home Order

The joint letter is addressed to Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams.

Toronto Mayor John Tory said he asked for one additional day to give parents time to prepare, but Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city's medical officer of health, said the shutdown is needed immediately.

As of 8 a.m. tomorrow, all people 71 years and older, Indigenous peoples 18 and older, and those who have received their "clinically extremely vulnerable" letter in the mail may book their vaccine appointment online, by telephone through B.C.'s new provincial call-in centre or in-person at a Service BC location.

Students at schools in Toronto are taking classes fully online today following an order from the city's top doctor. "While the implementation of additional province-wide public health measures is welcome, stronger measures will be required to reverse the surge our health units (among others) now face". "Stricter lockdowns have been shown to be effective in other countries to control transmission while vaccine campaigns progressed to achieve sufficient population coverage to suppress transmission".

Meanwhile, Ontario reported almost 6,000 new COVID-19 cases over a two-day span.

There are 942 people hospitalized with the virus in Ontario, but the Ministry of Health notes that 10 per cent of Ontario's hospitals do not submit data on weekends. The province has four active reported cases.


The province has documented almost 15,000 new cases of COVID-19 over the past five days, and hospitals now have more COVID-19 patients in intensive care than at any other time during the pandemic.

"And coming in quite ill", Williams said. Loh says the closure will allow students and staff at least two weeks out of schools to break any chains of transmission and protect them from exposure.

The Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph health unit also said on Monday that area school would temporarily shift to remote learning, starting Wednesday. Health officials say one case is related to travel outside Atlantic Canada, one involves a contact of a previously reported infection, and one is under investigation.

In a Twitter thread, Etches said she is "in the process of reviewing the COVID data in schools to advise on an approach to take for schools in Ottawa".

The consideration of a stay-at-home order comes after a letter was sent to Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health on April 4 saying that stronger measures are required to curb the spread of the super contagious COVID-19 variants.

Like this: