Published: Tue, April 20, 2021
Tech | By

Capitol Police officer died of natural causes after attack -medical examiner

Capitol Police officer died of natural causes after attack -medical examiner

Potentially shining a light on why prosecutors have not yet leveled homicide charges against accused rioters, the D.C. Medical Examiner's Office reportedly released a ruling on Monday finding that Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick died of natural causes after suffering two strokes the day after the January 6th siege.

The circumstances of the 42-year-old officer's death have been subject to speculation ever since Sicknick collapsed the night of the attack on the Capitol. But the official ruling of his death as from natural causes will likely make homicide charges hard to justify. Two men are accused of assaulting Sicknick by spraying a powerful chemical irritant at him during the siege.

U.S. Capitol Police said that the agency accepted the medical examiner's findings but that the ruling didn't change the fact that Sicknick had died in the line of duty, "courageously defending Congress and the Capitol".

Sicknick was among five people who died after the riot. And he said there was no evidence Sicknick had internal or external injuries, and while noting Sicknick's presence during the rioting, said "all that transpired played a role in his condition", the Post reported. He was interred at Arlington National Cemetery. The case is being investigated by D.C. police, who handle all deaths in the District, along with the Capitol Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The publicly disclosed timeline of events shows that Sicknick was sprayed with a chemical substance outside the U.S. Capitol around 2:20 p.m. January 6.

It was not immediately clear how the medical examiner's report would affect ongoing investigations into Sicknick's death and how it might affect the charges stemming from his alleged assault.

"Give me that bear shit", Khater said before he reached into Tanios' backpack, according to court papers.

About nine minutes later, those documents say, after Khater said he had been sprayed with something, Khater is seen on video discharging a substance into the face of Sicknick and two other officers.

Sicknick died the next day at about 9:30 p.m. He said that "when white supremacists attacked our nation's capital, they took the life of one of our officers". Cory Booker (D-NJ) They spilled his blood, they took our son away from his parents.

Like this: